LocalNews Rain Forest Aerial Tram tight lipped on alleged closure by: – May 31, 2012 Share Share Share 59 Views no discussions Tweet Sharing is caring! View of Rain Forest Aerial Tram. Photo credit: catravelservices.comAdministrative Manager of Rain Forest Adventures Dominica, Nikima Royer has refused to confirm or deny whether the company might soon be closing its doors to the public which could leave over fifty employees out of jobs.Rain Forest Aerial Tram opened its doors to the public in October, 2003 and at that time was only the second of its kind in the Caribbean region.The company offers locals and visitors “a scenic Gondola ride, guided nature hikes, a suspension bridge, cafe and exceptional access to one of the most beautiful and vibrant rainforests in the world”.On September 30th, 2011 Rain Forest Aerial Tram added a new adventure, the Gorge Zip Challenge which they described as “the highest zip line tour in the southern Caribbean”.However, despite the introduction of this new adventure they have been unable to attract sufficient visitors to keep the company afloat.The company has also been involved in a court battle with one of its shareholders for several years. When Dominica Vibes News contacted Royer she declined to comment on the matter, however we were informed by an employee that the company will be closing.Although the employee did not wish to give any further details, she expressed anxiety over how she would provide for her children and keep her commitments to the bank.Dominica Vibes News
Mila Causing was living alone andrunning a nearby school canteen. A village councilman found her with headinjuries and half-naked outside her house around 5 a.m. on Tuesday. “She likely tried to escape and seekhelp,” said Police Master Sergeant Ariel Palmera, Concepcion deputy chief ofpolice. Police subsequently arrested John RayClamares. A pair of slippers identified as his and found in Causing’s house ledthe police to suspect him. Palmera said they would wait for theresult of the medical examination on Causing. The young man admitted the slipperswere his, said Palmera. Palmera said Clamares appeared drunkwhen policemen arrested him. Causing, meanwhile, was taken to theSara District Hospital. “We told him to undergo a drug testbut he refused. We respect his decision. But our investigation is continuing.He may have other companions,” said Palmera. ILOILO – A 77-year-old woman wasmauled in Barangay Batiti, Concepcion town. Police arrested an 18-year-old ladwho had been linked to a series of robbery incidents in the municipality. Did the suspect commit rape? What was so far clear, according toPalmera, was that no valuables from Causing’s house was missing, an indicationthat she was not a victim of robbery./PN Clamares was not in the town policestation’s drug watch list, he added.
He reminded the Ilonggos that the Philippines gained independence from “oppressors from other lands” over a century ago “because the people united.” There would only be a flag-raising ceremony at 8 a.m. followed by wreath laying at the monument of Ilonggo revolutionary leader General Martin Delgado./PN Defensor expressed confidence that the Ilonggos would overcome this unseen adversary – but only if they are united. “Let us work for the recovery of Iloilo, the rise of the province,” he said. Defensor said 379,060 formal and informal workers from 38 local government units in the province were affected by the health crisis, resulting in roughly P2.4 billion losses in employment. Defensor estimated at more than P10 billion the losses which the province incurred from March 15 to April 30 when the enhanced community quarantine was imposed. Of these 29 cases, eight were overseas workers or locally stranded individuals. Of the five deaths, on the other hand, one was an overseas worker. Stoppage in construction projects of the Department of Public Works and Highways – Western Visayas resulted in a loss of P117 million, affecting 5,280 workers. The celebration’s theme is “Kalayaan 2020: Towards a Free, United, and Safe Nation.” “Wala kami sang programa para malikawan ang massgathering,” said Somo. About P2 billion was cut from the income of the Business Process Outsourcing industry. As of June 11, the province had a total of 29 confirmed cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) with five deaths, data from the Department of Health (DOH) Region 6 showed. COVID-19 is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China in December 2019. “COVID-19 is more fatal than a foreign invasion in terms of casualties and the levels of problems and difficulties it gives us. So as we celebrate Independence Day, let us unite and fight” said Defensor. The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel unwell. Mayor Rema Somo of Santa Barbara said physical distancing would be observed during today’s rites at the plaza. Defensor is leading this morning’s simple Independence Day rites at the historic public plaza of Santa Barbara town. ILOILO – This time the enemy is the invisible coronavirus. “Right now we are fighting again. We don’t only heal as one, we fight as one,” said Defensor. During the Philippine revolution against Spain, the Revolutionary Government of the Visayas was organized and formally inaugurated on Nov. 17, 1898 at the town plaza of Santa Barbara. A large crowd hailing from many places across Iloilo gathered for the historic occasion. The Philippine flag was raised for the first time outside of Luzon. This happened five months after General Emilio Aguinaldo’s declaration of Independence from Spain on June 12, 1898 in Kawit, Cavite. Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. appealed for unity ahead of today’s 122nd Philippine Independence Day celebration.
Sutton with Excise Superintendent Matt Strittmatter.SEYMOUR, Ind. – Indiana State Excise Police Officer Tim Sutton is retiring after 27 years of service.The Osgood resident was hired in 1987 and spent his entire career working at the Excise Police office in Seymour.Sutton was previously employed by the Indiana State Police as a Motor Carrier Inspector.He will continue to work in law enforcement as a Prosecutor’s Investigator with the Dearborn County Crimes Unit.
Rodgers, who has already spoken about the need to bring in an experienced, consistent striker, insists the player was never a consideration. “It wasn’t something that was ever one we were interested in,” Rodgers said. “He is a young, talented player but we already have four wingers at the club – Raheem Sterling, Jordon Ibe, Adam Lallana and Lazar Markovic. “We have other priorities we are looking at through the course of the summer but with the players we have in those positions, particularly on the left side, we are quite well stocked. “It is not something to talk about today. There will be enough activity over the course of the summer.” Rodgers expects Sturridge to return to training in September but accepts it may be a while before he is ready to lead the line again in competitive action. That means Liverpool will face six to eight weeks of the new campaign without their main striker, mirroring the situation this season when injury ruled out Sturridge between August 31 and January 31 and severely dented the club’s Champions League aspirations. With the likes of Mario Balotelli, Rickie Lambert and Fabio Borini set to be offloaded, Rodgers will be short up front. Young Belgium striker Divock Origi returns from a season-long loan with Lille to begin his Liverpool career and Burnley’s out-of-contract forward Danny Ings has been heavily linked with an Anfield move, but Rodgers believes the priority is to get Sturridge back to his best on a regular basis. Press Association The 25-year-old’s rehabilitation from a hip operation, performed in New York on Tuesday in an attempt to cure a number of related problems with his thigh and calf, will sideline him for a minimum of four months. Liverpool had been heavily linked with PSV Eindhoven’s free-scoring forward Memphis Depay, whose 21 goals helped his side to the Dutch title, but on Thursday Manchester United announced the Holland international would be joining them in the summer. Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is resigned to being without striker Daniel Sturridge until September at the earliest but denied he had already missed out on a transfer target which would have offered some compensation. “We hope he is available to train in September and then it is about getting his fitness in,” he added. “It is not just about fitness but football fitness and that takes a bit of time. Obviously it is a long period of time out but we hope the problem and issues have been resolved with the operation. “The important thing will be to let him recover, work hard in his rehab and we have great support from our owners in that he is able to go to the world’s leading specialists in America. “He will work very hard to get back fit and the sooner the better for us. “He has been a big miss to us this season but let’s hope he can get back fit and contribute to the club. “Once he’s fully fit we know what he can produce and if he is at that level of fitness he can certainly be a key player for us.”
ST JOHN’S, Antigua, (CMC )– Guyanese Sachin Singh has been named to lead a 14-man West Indies Under-15 Invitational squad on a six-match limited overs tour of England starting next month.The left-handed opener was among the leading scorers in last year’s Regional Under-15 Championship, and joins the likes of Barbadian batsmen Seth Agard and Matthew Forde, along with Trinidadian off-spinner Tariq Mohammed and Jamaican left-arm spinner Rajiv Redhi, all of whom were top performers in the tournament.Mohammed and Redhi are currently involved in the ongoing 2017 edition of the Regional Under-15 in Barbados.Cricket West Indies chief selector, Courtney Browne, said the tour was designed to prepare this age group for higher level international cricket.“It has been widely recognised that our talent pool is limited in the Caribbean, so CWI has taken steps to give opportunities to our young players and encourage them to remain in the game,” Browne said.“A trip like this is designed to get players ready for what is to come on the international pathway, as they make the steps up through the youth levels and onto the senior stage, so we are eagerly looking forward to seeing how much they have progressed.”The Under-15s will play a 35-overs a-side match against Sunbury Academy at Sunbury Cricket Club on August 9 before taking on age group opponents in six 50-overs games from August 9-20.Former Jamaica and West Indies batsman, Robert Samuels, will manage the side with former Windies seamer Corey Collymore and Rohan Nurse as coaches.SQUAD – Sachin Singh (captain), Seth Agard, Sameer Ali, Antonio Fernandes, Matthew Forde, Romaine Jacob, Tariq Mohammed, Antonio Morris, Rajiv Redhi, Demetrius Richards, Jayden Seales, Garvin Serieux, Lee Solomon, Taeim Tonge.
Panelists discussed the importance of the 2012 political race between President Barack Obama and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney at this week’s “Students Talk Back, a Public Policy and Politics Forum” hosted by the Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences’ Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics and the USC Sol Price School of Public Policy’s Schwarzenegger Institute.The panel was co-moderated by Dan Schnur, director of the Unruh Institute and Annalise Mantz, editor-in-chief of the Daily Trojan. Daniel Rothberg, a junior majoring in political science and special projects editor at the Daily Trojan served as a student panelist.This week’s two guest panelists were Dan Balz, a journalist for the Washington Post and the author of Collision 2012, and Lynn Vavreck, a political science professor at UCLA and co-writer of The Gamble. Balz’s book deals with the campaign strategists’ opinions on the campaign. Vavreck’s book takes a “moneyball” approach to the 2012 election, and attempts to discover what truly affected the campaign results.“Journalists would say everything matters in the campaign,” Balz said. “Political scientists would say that nothing matters in the campaign.”Yet both Balz and Vavreck could agree that the economy controls a campaign.“If I asked you to make a list of the top five moments of 2012, everyone would put the 47 percent video,” Vavreck said. “But the question is, did [the items on that list] change the outcome?”Vavreck said she doesn’t believe the 47 percent video had an effect on the outcome of the election, but instead thinks that the improving economy gave Obama the advantage he needed to win.Balz said Romney also agreed with this analysis. Balz interviewed Romney one-on-one last January.“His first answer to why he lost is that the economy got better and he could not overcome that,” Balz said.Balz later said that perhaps the most significant realization he took from his interview with Romney, was an understanding of Romney on a personal level.“We forget sometimes that [politicians] are human beings,” Balz said. “To see that side of Gov. Romney was an important thing to illuminate in the book.”Both panelists discussed the use of “big data” in the 2012 campaign and agreed that the Obama campaign commanded the use of statistics.“[The Obama campaign] developed three different scores: a support score, a turnout score and a persuasion score,” Balz said.The score showed support for the Democratic Party, the turnout score showed probability at turning up at the polls, and the persuasion score showed how easily someone could be persuaded to support Obama. Using these scores, the campaign developed a powerful targeting system to win swing counties in swing states.When asked if Romney could have won under a different set of circumstances, Vavreck and Balz had differing opinions.“My answer is yes,” Vavreck said. “The easiest way for him to do that would be if the economy was different than it was.”Balz said he did not think Romney could have won, as part of the reason why Romney ultimately lost came from his primary campaign.“Partially, his message was inconsistent. He allowed himself to go too far to the right,” Balz said.Many students who attended the discussion found Vavreck’s statistical approach to be interesting.“Something that really stood out to me was when [Vavreck] talked about was how the women’s reproductive rights [debate] actually had a bigger effect on men than on the women themselves,” said Marisa Tsai, a senior majoring in international relations and global economy.
The Tipperary Tornado was knocked out by Jorge Sebastian Heiland in the 10th round of their WBC middleweight eliminator at the 3 Arena in Dublin.There was better fortune for John Joe Nevin, however. In just his second professional fight, the Mullingar man beat English featherweight Jack Heath inside 90 seconds.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored with three minutes remaining to give Manchester United a thrilling 3-2 victory over Southampton in the EFL Cup final.A dramatic contest at Wembley was settled when Ibrahimovic headed in Ander Herrera’s cross just as the match appeared destined to move into extra-time.A controversial and thrilling match saw Southampton have Manolo Gabbiadini’s strike wrongly ruled out for offside before Ibrahimovic struck with an impressive free-kick at the other end.Jesse Lingard got the second, finding the bottom-right corner after a neat team move to net on his third consecutive Wembley appearance for United, before Gabbiadini got a goal that did count in first-half stoppage time.Gabbiadini made it five goals in three Saints matches with a magnificent finish early in the second half, but Ibrahimovic had the last word with his 26th goal of the season.United have now won the tournament on five occasions, a record bettered only by Liverpool.Mourinho claims the first major trophy of his United reign and his fourth overall victory in the competition, tying the record jointly held by Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson.Southampton’s wait for a first EFL Cup goes on as their FA Cup success in 1976 – which came against United – remains their only major trophy.Claude Puel has now lost both of his management appearances in major domestic cup finals, having been beaten as Monaco boss in the 2001 Coupe de la Ligue final.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
The Esports Insider Forum Series returns for a fourth consecutive month, bringing together an eclectic mixture of the brightest minds in and around the esports industry at Fnatic’s Bunkr on October 26th. The topic for discussion this month surrounds all things esports sponsorship. From endemic, to non-endemic, the hardships and just how it should work.The last year has been a busy one for esports and the sponsorship world. Whereas previously, the endemic side has dominated the esports landscape, with the likes of HyperX, Razer, Monster and Red Bull tending to dominate, the industry has started to shift. Just across the last couple of months, League of Legends has partnered with T-Mobile and BMW. ESL One Hamburg has partnered with Mercedes-Benz, whilst Astralis has added CocoFuzion to a growing list of non-endemic backers.With big-hitting data companies such as Nielsen launching into esports as well, the opportunity will continue to exist and arguably grow. But what’s the right way to do it, and what are the benefits? Thus far the ESI Forum has welcomed an array of experts to sit on panels dissecting why football clubs are entering esports, the apparel and merch opportunity and the challenges the gambling industry faces with regards to esports. ESI has hosted the likes of Fnatic CEO Wouter Sleijffers, Sky Sports commentator Gary Taphouse as well as Head of Esports at Sportradar James Watson, CEO of Blinkpool Suraj Gosai, Digital Fuel CEO Toby Oddy and exceL Esports co-owner Kieran Holmes-Darby.This month, the ESI team has lured plenty of fantastic names to speak on what’s sure to be another fantastic panel.The panel will feature:Róisín O’Shea, Head of Partnerships, Fnatic; Duncan McMonagle; SVP Strategy & Partnerships, DBLTAP (Minute Media); Shane Herrington; Brand Marketing Manager EMEA, HyperX.Róisín O’Shea, FnaticRóisín O’Shea, Head of Partnerships, Fnatic commented: “As Head of Partnerships at Fnatic, I lead our global efforts in the sponsorship space. We’re delighted to see more and more non-endemic brands invest in esports, and in Fnatic, and we expect to see a lot more of this as we educate more people about the opportunities and ensure our offering is equipped to reach a mainstream audience. “I’m looking forward to joining the other panellists at this next esports insider at Fnatic Bunkr, where I’m looking forward to discussing the ever-changing commercial landscape of esports.”Once the panel has shared invaluable insight, we will again whisk away the chairs, usher in the pizza-man and reopen the bar for a night of frivolity and, what one would assume will be some poor quality Rocket League. Sixteen fierce competitors will be invited to battle it out on the Fnatic stage for their chance to win a great prize and become the latest champion of the ESI Forum Series.There will, of course, be plenty of opportunity to get around and speak to anyone and everyone. Whether it’s putting faces to familiar email names, or meeting someone new, there’s a very good chance that if they’re involved in esports and they reside in the UK, they’ll be in attendance.There’s plenty of time to grab your ticket for the event, priced at just £15. You can get your ticket here.For speaker or sponsorship opportunities, email sam@esportsinsider and firstname.lastname@example.org