An Irish publishing company has agreed to pay €70m into two defined benefit (DB) schemes to end a long-running dispute over their future funding.Independent News & Media (INM) struck the agreement with the schemes’ trustees last week, according to a joint statement from both parties.The company and trustees said INM would pay the deficit reduction contributions agreed in the schemes’ 2013 valuation, as well as supplementary payments “to ensure pension pots… are no lower than as at 2013”. The company has also made “special provision” for members aged 62 or over who are yet to retire.The Independent Newspapers (Ireland) Limited Contributory Pension Plan and Independent Newspapers Management Services pension scheme are both to be wound up as part of the agreement. INM operates defined contribution (DC) schemes, and in total said it was projected to “invest” roughly €115m into all its schemes – including the new €70m arrangement – by 2023.The case grabbed headlines in Ireland, not least through coverage from the Irish Independent newspaper, owned by INM. Initially, the company had planned to wind up the schemes without closing their deficits, transferring members to DC schemes. The Independent reported that this would have led to future retirees losing up to 30% of their expected benefits.In Ireland, there are currently no laws requiring companies to fully fund their schemes when winding them up. The INM case received political attention and led to the introduction by politicians of a range of proposals for the protection of DB schemes and members. These are due to be debated by parliament’s Joint Committee on Social Protection later this year.In the joint statement, INM and the trustees said: “These pension changes are not unique to INM. Many companies, including other media organisations providing DB pension schemes, have changed from a DB to a DC model.”
RIPLEY COUNTY, Ind. – Having issues with phone or internet service today? If so, you’re not alone.Ripley County Emergency Management Director Patrick Rose says, “I have received periodic outages from both commercial and government, I am not really sure about the private sector.”It ranges from Batesville to Versailles and several issues may already be resolved, Rose added.Sources say a fiber cut in the Seymour and Columbus area has caused the isolated outages. We will release new details when they become available.
Area Basketball ScoresTuesday (11-20)Boys ScoresJac-Cen-Del 44 South Ripley 38Milan 62 Franklin County 43Greensburg 69 North Decatur 47Trinity Lutheran 75 South Decatur 56Lawrenceburg 42 Switz. County 30South Dearborn 62 Rising Sun 61Hauser 69 Brown County 48Waldron 95 CHA 28Shawe Memorial 60 Medora 57 (OT)Edinburgh 60 SW-Shelby 48Girls ScoresUnion County 51 Oldenburg 46New Palestine 62 Rushville 50Shawe Memorial 63 Medora 15
But speaking after the game, Valverde was adamant the bid from David Moyes’ side was not related to his decision to leave Herrera out of his team. “It had nothing to do with the bid from Manchester United, I left him out because I chose the players I thought were best suited to the game,” he told a press conference. “I’m not thinking about speaking to him to convince him about anything and I’m not worried about anything else. “I haven’t spoken with the player but what I’m going to repeat is that I don’t expect the club to make any moves in the transfer market tomorrow (Monday). “I do not know what will happen. I want Ander to stay with us, and that is what I think, expect will happen.” Asked why he thought Herrera would stay, he responded: “It would be harder to explain why I thought he was going to leave.” Before the match, Valverde declared during a pre-match press conference that Herrera was fit to play against Madrid. The 24-year-old progressed through Real Zaragoza’s youth ranks before joining Bilbao in 2011 for 8million euros, and was part of the side that defeated Manchester United 5-3 on aggregate in the last 16 of the Europa League in 2011/12. He has a buy-out clause in his contract which is widely believed to be 36million euros. Herrera was the subject of a bid from the Premier League champions during the week, which was rejected by the Basque club. Herrera had started both of Athletic’s league games this season – against Real Valladolid and Osasuna – but played no part in the game at the Bernabeu, with Mikel Rico starting instead. Athletic Bilbao coach Ernesto Valverde does not expect midfielder Ander Herrera to join Manchester United, despite leaving the player out of his side for Sunday’s 3-1 defeat to Real Madrid. Press Association
Michael O’Neill will seek help from his Scotland and Republic of Ireland counterparts ahead of Northern Ireland’s European Championship debut in France next summer. O’Neill’s side were placed in the same group as world champions Germany, Poland and Ukraine at the draw in Paris on Saturday. Both the Republic of Ireland and Scotland played Germany and Poland in qualifying for the tournament, and O’Neill revealed he has already spoken to Republic assistant boss Roy Keane. Republic manager Martin O’Neill and Scotland boss Gordon Strachan can also expect a call, with Michael O’Neill telling BBC Radio Live’s Sportsweek programme: ” I’ll certainly speak to both Martin and Gordon. “I’ve actually just had a quick chat with Roy Keane at breakfast and he was offering any help they can give us. “We know a fair bit about Poland anyway and we obviously know the threat of (Robert) Lewandowski. The Ukrainians are a bit more unknown to us but I think one of the real strong points of our preparation has always been our level of detail on the opposition.” Northern Ireland will become very familiar with Germany having also been drawn against Joachim Low’s side in qualification for the 2018 World Cup. O’Neill accepts they will have to upset the odds to make an impact in France, but they have already done so by topping their qualifying group. The Northern Ireland boss said: “They (Germany) were maybe the pot one team that I didn’t want but, having been drawn in it and got my head around it, I think it’s a fantastic game for us. “To get the opportunity to play the world champions in Paris in a major tournament is going to be a great occasion. And hopefully when we get to that stage, which is our third game, we’ll have a real prize at the end of that game. “On paper there’s perhaps easier groups but I also think when you get the world champions in your group, everyone will expect them to top the group, so in many ways it turns it into a mini group of three with ourselves, Ukraine and Poland. “I certainly believe we can be competitive in that company. I think we proved that in qualification and we have to believe we can get out of the group.” Press Association
Though experts say an earthquake of level 7.8 or greater is almost guaranteed to strike the USC area in coming years, many agree the recent seismic activity in Haiti and Chile is not indicative of an increased likelihood of an earthquake in Los Angeles.Many people are speculating that the sudden surge in seismic activity elsewhere in the world is a sign that “the big one” will soon hit Los Angeles. Experts, however, say the fault lines responsible for the earthquakes in Haiti and Chile are too distant to have any effect as far north as California.“The fact that there were earthquakes [in Haiti and Chile] doesn’t affect our chances of having one here,” said Thomas H. Jordan, a professor of earth sciences and the director of the Southern California Earthquake Center.Still, a number of experts say that California is due for a large earthquake — likely a quake that would emanate from the San Andreas fault line, which runs under California north of Los Angeles. During such an earthquake, waves would become trapped in the sediment underneath Los Angeles, causing 7.8-level tremors that could shake the area for up to two minutes.The seismic waves are unpredictable, so logistics of exactly where this earthquake will hit cannot be specified. The Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast, however, believes Los Angeles does face a 67 percent chance of a 6.7-magnitude earthquake or greater sometime in the next 30 years. The chance of a similar quake striking anywhere in California in the same time frame is 99.7 percent.Jordan noted that California is not bracing itself for a specific earthquake, but that there are many possible “big ones.” Though the San Andreas fault is the most likely source of “the big one,” Jordan said there are other faults that could spark dramatic seismic activity in the region.Jordan stressed that those living in Los Angeles should not dismiss the severity of an upcoming quake because of vague details about when and where.“Just because it may not hit soon doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be concerned,” Jordan said. “We should be very concerned. A large quake is inevitable; it’s going to happen, and when it does it’s going to cause problems.”Though the recent earthquakes are unrelated, the devastation that has followed the quakes in Haiti and Chile is a harsh reminder of Southern California’s own anticipated earthquake and the potential for damage.USC, however, has taken extensive measures to ensure that, when a large scale earthquake does strike, the school will be prepared.The USC Office of Fire Safety and Emergency Planning has incorporated a portable water filtration system that, should students and staff be trapped in an area without drinking water, can make potable water from fountains, pipes and pools. Emergency food and medical supplies have been placed in strategic locations throughout campus, as have satellite phones. Some form of an emergency kit exists within every USC-owned facility, even those on Catalina Island.In addition, USC is committed to educating both students and staff about how to react immediately after an earthquake hits. The Community Emergency Response Teams consists of staff, faculty and students trained in fire suppression, search and rescue, and first aid. All buildings have a Building Emergency Response Team trained to evacuate students as quickly as possible.USC also began its earthquake awareness program, the Great California ShakeOut, in 2008. A response to the earthquake threat from the San Andreas fault line, ShakeOut educates students about proper measures to take before, during and after an earthquake.The ShakeOut itself is a simulated earthquake response drill acted out at a predetermined day and time throughout California each year. Several weeks before the ShakeOut occurs, officials work to garner publicity and to train emergency responders in basic earthquake safety. Most importantly, the program teaches the practice of “Drop, Cover, Hold,” in which people in the area affected by the tremors get under a desk or table and protect their heads and necks.According to Steve Goldfarb, the university’s Fire Safety and Emergency Planning specialist, one of the most important steps in preparing for a quake is to secure all loose objects and furnishings.“Earthquakes themselves don’t kill people; everything falling does. It’s critical during a quake to take cover and then stay still until the tremors have stopped,” Goldfarb said.Even with the annual ShakeOut drill, a recent survey by USC’s Norman Lear Center found that only 12 percent of participants in the event found themselves “very well prepared” for a large earthquake.Still, students in general seem to be well aware of the basic duck-and-cover strategy and the efforts of ShakeOut.“My understanding is that we’re supposed to drop, cover and hold on until we’re cleared,” said Shevora Ebron, a sophomore majoring in business administration. “I think most other students know that too.”Goldfarb will hold a seminar on earthquake preparedness in the Cardinal Room of the Lyon Center on Thursday, March 11, between noon and 1 p.m.
Published on March 10, 2015 at 11:17 pm Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse attack Riley Donahue settled her right foot on the left hash of the 8-meter arc for a free position. Her stick sat in her hands with the head to her left as she twirled it. Four Florida defenders all stared at her.But they should have been staring at SU midfielder Kelly Cross.Cross sat alone on the right hash of the 8-meter arc. When the referee blew the whistle, Donahue sent a high pass to Cross, who slid the ball between UF’s goalie and the post. A grin spread on Cross’ face and teammates hugged her to celebrate the goal.The game-winning goal with just over two minutes left in overtime cemented a 14-13, comeback win for No. 5 SU (6-2, 1-1 Atlantic Coast) over No. 6 Florida (6-2) on Tuesday night in Gainesville, Florida. The Orange rode the final eight minutes of the game to snap its two-game losing streak. Cross tallied a career-high five points for SU, scoring four goals and dishing one assist on a night when UF held Kayla Treanor to no shots and one assist.SU had to overcome a 10-minute game of keep-away by Florida. Gator midfielder Nicole Graziano scored with just over 12 minutes left in regulation to give UF a 13-12 lead. After the Gators won the ensuing draw, they held the ball for 10 minutes.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSU was given two yellow cards for fouls committed by Brenna Rainone and Haley McDonnell.With just under two minutes left, a Florida turnover behind the net found was picked up by SU goalie Kelsey Richardson and head coach Gary Gait called a timeout.Attack Halle Majorana took advantage on the other end, splitting two UF defenders, shooting while falling and bouncing in a goal. Her teammates circled around her as she got up to celebrate the game-tying goal.SU managed to prevent the Gators from scoring a goal during overtime and Cross’ goal finished off the comeback.The Orange continues its three-game road trip on Saturday against Harvard at 7 p.m. in Deland, Florida.Compiled by Chris Libonati, staff writer, firstname.lastname@example.org Comments
BeWellUSC received its final video submissions Monday for its newly launched interactive wellness map that allows students to find places on campus that promote physical and spiritual wellness.The map, which is available under the “Initiatives” section of the BeWellUSC website, features more than 30 locations on the University Park Campus dedicated to student wellness. Featured locations include Student Counseling Services, the Rose Garden in Exposition Park, the Fishbowl Chapel and the Scene Dock Theatre Patio.Health · Student Affairs launched an interactive map on its BeWellUSC website. The map intends to encourage wellness on campus and helps users identify which locations promote physical and spiritual wellness. – Photo illustration by Daniel RothbergBrittany New, a health educator in the Health Promotion and Prevention Services, said the map was created to help make wellness more accessible to students.“BeWellUSC was designed in order to make wellness more interactive for students,” New said. “USC is becoming an increasingly residential campus and we needed to start highlighting different areas on campus that students can utilize to improve their wellness.”Each icon on the wellness map provides a brief description of the location and lists the dimensions of wellness that can be pursued there. Among the different dimensions are spiritual, emotional, intellectual and physical wellness.New said the initiative addresses a variety of wellness aspects that students might overlook.“A lot of times people think of health as a complete state, but it is much more about your health potential and working towards this potential in your workplace and your studies,” New said.The Office for Wellness and Health Promotion is working to bring the map to a variety of different platforms, New said.“Ideally, the wellness map could be housed in many other places,” New said. “Our office is also talking about creating a smart phone app for the map.”Tori Wiggins, a freshman majoring in chemical engineering, said she is satisfied with the amount of wellness promoted at USC.“USC does a good job promoting wellness through social media networks, emails and fliers around campus,” Wiggins said. “Just recently, my R.A. sent out an email about how to get in touch with our floor wellness adviser, and she is planning a dinner for us to talk with him later this month.”Naomi Yiu, a freshman majoring in business administration, said more fitness options should be available to promote wellness.“USC should offer more fitness alternatives for student wellness,” Yiu said. “It would be nice to be able to go to yoga classes at the Lyon Center instead of always just having to use the exercise machines.”
Seventeen Trojan greats selected to the 10th class of USC’s Athletic Hall of Fame will be inducted at the Galen Center on May 12.The inductees are Art Bartner, Lindsay Benko, Steve Bisheff, Tony Boselli, Clarence Davis, Barbara Hallquist, Barbara Hedges, Bob Hughes, Wayne Hughes, Bryan Ivie, Keyshawn Johnson, Randy Johnson, Jill McGill, Tina Thompson, Forrest Twogood, Quincy Watts and Adrian Young.Legend · Former USC receiver Keyshawn Johnson is one of 17 Trojans who will be honored May 12. Johnson was the Rose Bowl MVP in 1996. – Photo courtesy of Sports InformationThe honorees include 12 decorated athletes in nine different sports who have made their mark in USC athletics, the professional realm and the Olympics.Women’s tennis pioneer Hallquist was the first female player to receive an athletic scholarship from USC and went on to garner seven national collegiate championships.Swimmer and water polo standout Hughes was the first American athlete to compete in two different sports in the same Olympics since 1926 at the 1956 Melbourne Games.Wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson held the USC and conference record for pass receptions in a season (since broken by Robert Woods) at 102 and earned MVP honors in the 1995 Cotton Bowl and 1996 Rose Bowl.Lefty pitcher Randy Johnson won 16 games with USC, including a 5-0 finish in 1983. After his collegiate career, Johnson went on to capture five Cy Young awards in the MLB and MVP of the 2001 World Series.Thompson led the Women of Troy to three NCAA tournament appearances and was the first player drafted to the WNBA. The nine-time All-Star has won four WNBA titles and is the all-time scoring leader in league history.Watts, who took the NCAA 400-meter race in 1992, won two gold medals at the Barcelona Olympic Games in 1992. He currently holds the Olympic record for the 400-meter at 43.50 seconds.Other inductees include USC Trojan Marching Band director Bartner, sportswriter Bisheff, 18-year Trojan athletics administrator Hedges, ardent fan Hughes and the late Twogood, who coached USC men’s basketball to the Final Four in 1954.The Hall of Famers are selected by a 75-member panel comprised of media, USC alumni and athletic department supporters.Tickets for the induction dinner at the Galen Center can be obtained online at USCTrojans.com or by calling the USC Athletic Department.
It was a strong second half performance that sealed the win for Papaka in front of over 500 spectators.Papaka took the lead in the 50th minute of play when Leana Rawali powered a shot into the nets to bring the crowd into a frenzy.Papaka continued to dominate possession and put the nail in the coffin in the 71st minute after a mix up in Kalo’s backline allowed striker Ryan Gerega to score.Papaka (1) walked away with K8,000. Runners up Kalo settled for K4,000.In third and fourth placing final, Keapara beat their brothers Alukuni 10-8 in a penalty shootout.Keapara picked up K2,000 while Alukuni received K1,000.