BIARRITZ, France — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is not expected to meet with a top Iranian official who dropped in to the G7 summit unannounced Sunday, even as other Group of Seven leaders and officials have been sitting down to talk about how to save Iran’s fissuring nuclear deal.France’s invitation to Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif led to sidebar meetings with French, German and U.K. officials in Biarritz Sunday — an attempt by French President Emmanuel Macron to broker an ease in growing tensions, notably in the Strait of Hormuz, where a dispute between the U.K. and Iran has been unfolding.Canada has been supportive of restoring the Iran nuclear deal, but is not a central character in the negotiations now playing out on the margins of the G7 summit, said a senior Canadian official who provided comments on background.Trudeau did, however, participate in some tense discussions about Iran during a meeting of the Group of Seven leaders Saturday evening at the foot of the Biarritz lighthouse.Macron said the leaders agreed during this dinner that France could serve as a G7 messenger to Iran. Trump later denied agreeing to anything, and Macron was forced to play down his role and acknowledge Trump’s status as “the president of the world’s number one power.”Story continues belowThis advertisement has not loaded yet,but your article continues below.Meetings between Zarif and the U.S. are not expected.Zarif did meet with Macron and also held a joint briefing with the U.K. and Germany on Sunday on the margins of the official G7 programme, Zarif said in a tweet that also included photos of the meetings.For several months, Macron has taken a lead role in trying to save the 2015 Tehran nuclear accord, which has been unravelling since Trump pulled the U.S. out of the agreement last year.Trump’s decision to withdraw the United States from the nuclear agreement it forged with its fellow United Nations Security Council members — Britain, France, China and Russia — as well as Germany has been widely viewed as the spark for renewed tensions between Iran and the West.The agreement provided that nuclear activities in Iran would be restricted in exchange for reduced sanctions.Trudeau discussed the Iran deal with German Chancellor Angela Merkel during a bilateral meeting he held with her Sunday, where they agreed on the importance of the deal and the need for de-escalation, according to a readout of the meeting provided by the Prime Minister’s Office.Speaking to reporters before their meeting, Merkel said Canada and Germany have an excellent friendship, something that is much appreciated “in a world that is in turmoil,” she said, as translated by an interpreter.“(In) a world where there are so many conflicts, there’s a lot of common ground between our two countries, a lot of areas we see eye to eye.”The surprise arrival of the Iranian official to Biarritz threw a monkey wrench into efforts by Trump and Trudeau to keep the focus of the summit on trade and global economic issues.They crowed about their successfully negotiated trade agreement, known as the United-States-Mexico-Canada agreement, or USMCA, during a one-on-one meeting Sunday and their good working relationship — a far cry from the stormy end of last year’s G7 summit that saw Trump calling Trudeau “dishonest and weak.”Despite this, the mood between leaders at the annual get-together has repeatedly been described as tense, with a clear divide reported between Trump and the leaders of the other G7 countries — France, Britain, Canada, Germany, Italy and Japan.Trump has disputed any accounts of tension. In a tweet issued early in the weekend deliberations, he said all the leaders were “getting along very well,” and he took issue with some media reports indicating otherwise.The leaders will wrap up their official summit meetings tomorrow, but this will not include a final joint statement. Instead, individual agreements between countries are expected to be released and the leaders will hold wrap-up press conferences to discuss summit and international issues.
If you’re in a pub or a bar room brawl and someone has been stabbed or assaulted, one can be treating and the other can be watching your back.He said these solo responders “shouldn’t be sent to houses where there has been violence or where there has been alcohol taken” and “there should be no lone workers in an ambulance after 8pm at night”.Rapid Response VehiclesFigures show a greater number of instances where lone responders were sent to attend in the summer months. In May the number is 826, in June it was 807 and in July the total was 630, with numbers dropping in the three following months.The figures provided to TheJournal.ie only include responses by an advanced paramedic who is sent in a car, known as a ‘rapid response vehicle’ (RRV), and not those attended by a community first responder – volunteers trained in basic first aid.Community first responders are not recorded on the National Ambulance Service’s electronic dispatch system and the NAS said the records “are not easily accessible” and so were not provided through the request. However Gregg said that most lone responders would fall into that second category and “if you get an advanced paramedic, you’re doing well”.Moral conscienceAlthough there is a system of risk assessment in place for these solo responders, part if this involves the worker making a decision after weighing up the risks at the scene and Gregg said these paramedics are “motivated by their moral conscience as well”.”If someone has been assaulted or they’re in cardiac arrest, it’s difficult to stay at the end of the road and wait for backup,” he explained.Uncovered leaveIn a recent incident, a paramedic was injured in a fall at an ambulance base and had to call 999 for help. He was working alone because there was no cover provided for a colleague on leave, according to reports.Gregg said this system is not only putting the paramedics at risk but the public as well. He said a lone paramedic is often sent out in one of these RRVs even though they are supposed to work on a people-carrying ambulance because their colleague is out sick or on leave and this is not covered due of cutbacks. (Image: Shane Casey/Flickr)”The purpose of the RRV is supposed to be to compliment the ambulances but they’re using it as an alternative to the ambulance,” Gregg said.Response timesUnder HSE rules, a first responder is required to be at the scene in 7 minutes and 59 seconds, with a patient-carrying vehicle at the incident in 18 minutes and 59 seconds.Gregg claimed the National Ambulance Service is using the RRV system to meet the lower time target but with the local ambulance off the road because staff leave is uncovered, it means “the other ambulance will take longer to get to them because they have more distance to travel”.”We have a situation now where two vehicles are doing the work of four vehicles,” he said.This month it was reported that an ambulance took 40 minutes to get to a serious road collision. Two advanced paramedics were sent to the scene in Portlaoise but could not transport the patients to the hospital, which was only ten minutes away, because they were travelling in cars.I think we need to look, where an intervention was put in place by a first responder, how influential it was in the recovery of that paramedic – would it have been better to wait for an ambulance?’Significant investment’In its response to TheJournal.ie’s request for information, the NAS said there are two indicators that determine whether to dispatch a solo responder:Being the nearest available resource to an incident;Where the advanced clinical skills, only provided by an advanced paramedic, are required for the circumstances of particular incidents.The HSE said that a review of recent incidents reported in the media has shown that at some emergency departments, ambulance vehicles have been delayed for longer than the 20 minute target time.”An enhanced escalation procedure is being developed in relation to delays beyond 20 minutes,” they said. “This enhanced escalation procedure will provide for a RAG (Red, Amber and Green) rating whereby such delays can be treated as an adverse incident.”The HSE said there has been “significant investment in ambulance services” in 2013 and this year with €25 million allocated in 2013 and a further €3.6 million in 2014 for the single national control centre.”These investments will allow for significant improvements in response times as well as being able to cater for an increase in the volume of emergency DELTA calls which are currently about 10 per cent more than the same period last year circa 1,000 extra calls per month.”Read: Targets for ambulance response times ‘impossible’ to meet>Read: Midleton ambulance call ‘did not follow procedure’ in the lead-up to 2-year-old’s death> THE PRACTICE OF sending a lone paramedic to incidents has been criticised due to the potential threat to their safety and to the well-being of patients, as new figures show almost 3,500 of these incidents across the country in a six month period.Figures provided to TheJournal.ie through a Freedom of Information request reveal that 3,475 calls were attended by a solo responder in the six month period from May to October 2013.This system is not one supported by the National Ambulance Service Representative Association (NASRA), according to general secretary, Tony Gregg.“We have serious concerns of people being deployed as lone workers in rapid response vehicles,” he said. “The scenarios they are deployed into are unpredictable up to a certain point. It can be violent and aggressive and indeed people are assaulted on a regular basis.”